Yep that’s right folks, its’ International Penguin Awareness Day.
They may be flightless but here’s some pretty cool facts to get your beaks into <(“)
- Out of the seventeen penguin species on Earth, thirteen species are classed as either threatened or endangered?! (Thanks to Folly Farm Adventure Park & Zoo for the heads up)
- No penguins live at the North Pole!
- Penguins can drink sea water!
- Penguins mate for life! (Thanks to @StDavidsMary for this one)
- Depending on the species, a wild penguin can live 15-20 years
- King Penguins have four layers of feathers to keep them warm on the subantarctic islands where they breed
- Why are they black and white? Camouflage while swimming….
- Camouflage…The black plumage on their back is hard to see from above the water…
- Camouflage… the white plumage on their front looks like the sun reflecting off the surface of the water when seen…
- Penguins can spend up to 75 percent of their lives at sea. That’s a lot of swimming!
- Penguins are the fastest swimming and deepest diving species of any birds!
- Penguins swim as fast as 20 miles per hour (32 kph)
- Penguins’ eyes work better underwater than they do in the air
Oh and if you haven’t already seen it, check out the serious sillyness of testing a Penguin Pools fun factor <(")